The 2011 People's Lottery Fund was awarded to the Westbury Bell Tower Appeal, to renovate and help preserve and maintain bell ringing in this unusual detached bell tower. The tower is to become available to the public and for education. To take out the bells, and fit new headstocks and bearings and all fixings. Bells will then be re-hung and test rings monitored until any resulting frame movement is within an acceptable tolerance. The traditional art of bell ringing is to be maintained in the 13th. century bell tower of the Church of St Mary, St Peter & St Paul, Westbury-on-Severn, Gloucestershire, England. This almost unique detached bell tower, dates from circa 1290. It has a 14th century 49-meter high spire made entirely from locally sourced oak, and covered with oak shingles. The tower was originally attached to the now demolished Chapel of St. Mary which, during the English Civil War, was occupied by the Parliamentarians who defeated the Royalists who were occupying the adjacent church. The tower houses the heaviest peal of bells in Gloucestershire, which were famous for ringing out their peal and quarter peals to be heard across the nearby Severn Estuary. Four of the peal of six are maiden Abraham Rudhall bells, cast at the famous Rudhall’s foundry in Gloucester in 1711. The heaviest bell of the peal being the tenor at nearly 22 cwt. The bells were rung regularly up to about ten years ago; there being one last ring in 2005 which was monitored closely, when it was found that there was some bell chamber structural movement and instability, with one bell making contact with its frame and housing. They were deemed too dangerous to ring, especially in the grade 1 listed tower. The photographs show the bells being removed by a team of local bell ringers and operatives from the Bell Hangers: Whites of Appleton, Oxfordshire, where the bells were taken for renovation. Later to be returned to Westbury, where they're reassembled and rehung by the same team. All required tests are then carried out with checks made by the structural engineer and English Heritage. The bells, have been successfully returned to the tower. They have been rededicated by the Bishop of Tewkesbury, and having passed all tests, are now ready to take part in the National Bell Ringing Celebration to celebrate the Diamond Jubilee of Her Majesty the Queen. This is what was hoped for when this work began and has now been achieved. Two quarter peals will take place on Sunday and Monday 3rd. and 4th. June 2012. Each session lasting around 45 minutes.